Re: Need some help in data design

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: 2000/03/12

<always-the-correct-answer _at_ comp.databases.theory> wrote in message news:8aebf4$moi$3_at_dosa.alt.net...

> Kyle Lahnakoski <kyle_at_arcavia.com>
>

> > One poster suggested a single table, but I am sure that there
 are some
> > attributes that are common to all items. I will suggest two
> tables.

> Since you don't get it, do two tables first, then stare at it for
> several days, and you will see how to put the two tables into
> just one table.

Two posts from the notorious kook haven alt.net. Colon James III, is that you? Please enlighten us all how everything can be done with one table. Do we use an indeterminate number of fields to hold every possible attribute, or do we use one row per attribute per item, a "many" side table with no corresponding "one" side, even though most or all items have a few common attributes, like asking price, description, and date and time of auction?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster_at_ricochet.net>  Space Cooties! <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to