General concept, joining two tables...

From: Steve Schroeder <zamdrist_at_pconline.com>
Date: 2000/03/11

Building a database up from ground zero, here is a brief description:

This is a Patent Application database that falls nicely into two tables,

Applications (Docket Number (unique), Filing Date, etc.) Inventors (InventorID (unique),Name, Address, Country, etc.)

Now here is the problem. There may be multiple inventors per application, and an inventor can be associated with more than one application.

So, there is a many to many relationship between each table.

The first idea that comes to me is I could have a third table containing Docket Number & Inventor ID. Neither field could be a unique index.

Can someone think of a way I can avoid having a third table without a unique index? Received on Sat Mar 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CST