Re: OO fans bashing Joins

From: topmind <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/03/06

In article <38c4407b.23364041_at_news.shuswap.net>, genew_at_shuswap.net (Gene Wirchenko) wrote:
>linehanp_at_tcd.ie (Paul Linehan) wrote:
>
>>topmind <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> linehanp_at_tcd.ie (Paul Linehan) wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>> For one, there is no decent unbiased evidence that OO reduces
>>> lines of code for typical applications.
>>

>>Maybe it doesn't, but that's not the point.
>>
>>What OO definitely *_does_* do is make code more maintainable
 and
>>easier to understand and debug.
>>
>>Given that approx ~90% of a software product's lifetime is
 spent in
>>the maintainance phase, this is a GOOD THING.
>
> It also makes it easier to design and the design more
 amenable to
>extension when doing that maintenance.
>
> Program maintenance forever! (It sometimes seems that
 way, too!)

Only if the real world fits into the artificial groupings and boundaries that classes and methods provide. My observation is that real world change patterns *don't* fit these well, making a bigger mess than OO's competitors. I suggest we move this discussion to comp.object if you wish to continue.

>Sincerely,
>
>Gene Wirchenko
>
>Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
> I have preferences.