Re: OO fans bashing Joins

From: Paul Linehan <linehanp_at_tcd.ie>
Date: 2000/03/06

topmind <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid> wrote:

> linehanp_at_tcd.ie (Paul Linehan) wrote:

> >> (I am not an OO fan, as you may have guessed :-)

> >Ah yes, there's nothing quite like the sheer thrill of debugging
> >50,000 lines of assembler, now is there?

> I reject your Ludite-tinted analogy and reject your OO-or-
> Assembler dichotomy.

The OO or Assembler was a bit of a tongue in cheek job I'm afraid.

> For one, there is no decent unbiased evidence that OO reduces
> lines of code for typical applications.

Maybe it doesn't, but that's not the point.

What OO definitely *_does_* do is make code more maintainable and easier to understand and debug.

Given that approx ~90% of a software product's lifetime is spent in the maintainance phase, this is a GOOD THING.

Paul...

--
Paul Linehan

plinehan at yahoo dot com/linehanp at tcd dot ie

I drink to keep body and
soul apart - O. Wilde.

"Mens sana in campari soda" - anon.