Re: OO fans bashing Joins

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: 2000/03/06

<joe_celko_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8a0v3o$56l$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...

> >> Other OO fans seem to be saying the same thing. Is there a famous
> test that said OO is faster than Joins? Where is this perception coming
> from? <<

> I would guess that they mean that pointer chains are faster than joins,
> which is true under certain conditions. Namely, you have to know what
> the join will be in advance, to do the linkages. An OO fan given a

Surely specifying foreign key relationships, as many products support, is enough to give a strong hint to the database engine? The engine might also collect statistics on the queries used, like they often do on the stored data.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster_at_ricochet.net>  Space Cooties! <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to