Re: OO fans bashing Joins

From: <joe_celko_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/06

>> Other OO fans seem to be saying the same thing. Is there a famous
test that said OO is faster than Joins? Where is this perception coming from? <<

I would guess that they mean that pointer chains are faster than joins, which is true under certain conditions. Namely, you have to know what the join will be in advance, to do the linkages. An OO fan given a join in an ad hoc query woudl probably have a horrible "table scan" done with a lot of pointer chasing. We used to have this problem with IMS, IDMS, etc. before SQL.

Also, there is no single way to implement a join. B-tree indexes are the most common, but there are bit vectors, inverted lists, hashing, etc. Hashing can be faster than pointer chains!

--CELKO-- Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message