How would Homer write an SQL query?

From: Chris Chesher <c.chesher_at_unsw.edu.au>
Date: 2000/03/01

Here's an unusual request...

I want to phrase the introductions to the ancient Greek epice poet Homer's
_The Iliad_ and _The Odyssey_ as valid SQL queries to an imaginary database
of myths.

(I'm going to use it in my PhD thesis and forthcoming book _Computers as Invocational Media_)

_The Odyssey_ begins with an invocation to the Muse Calliope:

"Tell me, O Muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after he had sacked the famous town of Troy."

AND:
_The Iliad_ begins with (again to Calliope or another of the Muses):

"Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans."

(The full versions are online at

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joelja/odyssey.html and
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joelja/iliad.html )

Anyone want to give it a try? I'll give a credit to the writer of the best version.

Please send your attempt to mailto:c.chesher_at_unsw.edu.au

Chris

--
Chris Chesher
Lecturer