Re: Field naming conventions

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:37:44 +0000

Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com> wrote:

> > Is there a resource for database field naming conventions?

Have a look here.

http://www.kudzuworld.com/Articles/DBDesign/index.en.aspx

But if I were you, I'd ignore the rule about

Do Not Use Column Names That Match Parent Table Names, in fact I'd do the reverse - I would always have the same name for the same thing in different tables - you can figure it out by always qualifying your field names with the table name. Furthermore, if the same field appears in many tables, you won't always have to be trying to figure out "What did I call it in the AccountsSummary table?".

Furthermore, always implement these fields in *_every_* table you create:

DateTime_Created, User_Created, Last_Modified_DateTime, Last_Modified_User

with triggers.

This will save you an unbelievable amount of time in development.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 10.2.0.1 (Express Edition)
Interbase 6.0.2.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.