OLEDB and Oracle XE ?

From: Ove <Ove_at_nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:37:59 GMT

Hi,

I'm a newbie when it comes to Oracle, but I was asked to check if an application could run with Oracle, so I installed Oracle XE. The application is an older VB6 app.

I installed Oracle XE and Client XE on the same XP machine as my application and checked that the database engine is running.

I fail to point out the database with the PromptNew dialog in MSDASC.DataLinks. VB code:
Dim dataLink As New MSDASC.DataLinks
sDBConnection = dataLink.PromptNew 'Prompt for connection string

The only Oracle related providers in the list are Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle
and
Oracle Provider for OLE DB

The first one requires a Server Name in the next tab. I enter XE as it is the name of my database, user system and it's password and test the connection.
It says ORA-12154: TNS could not resolve the connect identifier.

The second one asks for Datasource. I enter XE again (perhaps wrong?) Again ORA-12154.

I don't want to require that the user sets up a DSN. Please help me - What is wrong here?

Regards,
Ove Received on Tue May 16 2006 - 16:37:59 CEST

Original text of this message