Re: validation testing -- use TPC-C? (or what?)

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:18:49 -0500

Larry Menard wrote:
> My TPC knowledge is a bit dated, so take it with a grain of salt.
>
> First of all, make sure you are looking for the right benchmark for the
> type of processing you are interested in. For example, TPC-C is a benchmark
> that is indicative primarily of rapid transaction processing. There are
> other benchmarks for workloads that are more DSS-intensive (TPC-H or TPC-D)
> or web-intensive (TPC-W).
>
> Second, I don't know of any publicly available TPC-C kits. It is my
> understanding that the source code used for TPC-C benchmark applications are
> closely-guarded secrets, since the application code itself might contain
> code that accounts for significant performance improvements.
Larry,

Actually the rules demand full disclosure. And everything should be available rom the TPC website. Starting from the algorithms to generate the data to the exact configuration and sourcecodee for any run. In theory a competitor can validate a TPC result inhouse (I doubt that this has ever been done though). Due to this rule to expose these benchmarks can be challenged. E.g. Oracle successfully challenged the first SQL Server 2000 TPC-C benchmark using clustering (partitioned views) because SS2000 couldn't update the partitioning key.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau