Re: Help needed to connect DB2k on PC to v7.3 on VMS

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:39:30 GMT

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:15:45 +0930, Andrew interested us by writing:

> Can I connect using only ODBC drivers?

Most ODBC drivers that I've seen still punt the request to an Oracle networking client.

> Do I need an Oracle client on the pc workstation?

So yes, if you get ODBC drivers that came from Oracle, you still need to install Oracle's SQL*Net, or Oracle Networking on the client that is ocmpatible with the version on the OpenVMS.

> Do I need a dedicated DB2K oracle user account (multiple users of DB2K PC
> application) or do I need to add an oracle user account for each individual
> user?

Depends entirely on your business security model, If you want a remote chance of detecting who accessed the Oracle database, then you probably want per-individual userids.

Unless you already have the disks, it is likely going to be difficult to fing the client software that will be compatible with a 7.3.2 version of the database, since that version has been long desupported. (I assume you do not have Oracle Support contract, otherwise you would have upgraded to at least 7.3.4). IMO, your best hope is to find the local Oracle User Groups and ask around there.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com