Re: Alternatives to SQL *Plus

From: Enoch <Enoch_at_theFort.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:59:46 +0000

Ant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an SQL assignment to do and at my school we use SQL *Plus there
> however I don't have Oracle at home, where I would like to do the work ,so I
> was wondering whats the easiest way to get an SQL environment up so I can
> code in that then just paste it into SQL *Plus later.
>
> I don't really want to install Oracle on my home pc and I was wondering if
> there are other IDE's for SQl that would fit my need for this.
>
> I discovered an instant SQL *Plus client that sounded really promising but
> when i unpacked it, it was just a load of dll's so I think it wasn't what I
> thought it was.
>
> So does anyone know of anything that might be able to help me out here?
>
> Any advice much appreciated!
>
> Thanks
> --
> Ant
It sounds like you only downloaded the initial 30meg basic package, you *also* need to download the additional SQL*Plus zip file, which is tiny, less then a meg.

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3371561

For how to set it up, you'll need to create a tnsnames.ora file, just search the oracle directory at your school for the file and copy that one if you can't create your own. The URL given has details of how to connect by IP too.

Also your uni could quite well have the web based isql*Plus form/app installed.
I think the default location would be along the lines of: http://oracleName.yourUni.tld:4443/isqlplus but I'm sure they can tell you.

Enoch. Received on Thu Feb 17 2005 - 01:59:46 CET

Original text of this message