Re: acceptable way to program

From: steve <me_at_me.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:36:48 +0800

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:23:38 +0800, Ann wrote (in article <eBpBd.311721$HA.34608_at_attbi_s01>):

> "steve" <me_at_me.com> wrote in message

>> Hi,
>>

>> Recently I have been looking at the various ways people are implementing,
>> interaction between java & oracle databases.
>>
>> I was always instructed on the purity of the data model, "normalize the
>> data" etc.
>>
>> I have seen people Serializing java objects , such as purchase orders
>> orders, customer records etc , then sticking the "object" into am oracle
> blob

>> column.
>>
>> finally when they want to retrieve it they de-serialize the object., work
> on

>> it then re-serialize and stuff it back into the oracle blob.
>>
>> to me this causes the following problems:
>>
>> 1. the object can become very big, and can only be recovered in it's
>> entirety, and if it contains pictures ,etc, it can become huge.
>> 2. the object becomes "closed", in that it cannot be modified or checked
> in

>> situ
>> 3. it cannot be searched , without de-serialization.
>
> How do you sort on a field that contains just picures (not pictures in
> objects.)
>

>> I'm looking to implement a java front end, (oracle back end), system ,that
>> allows a product , to be inspected by an inspection team , and comments/
>> photographic record kept.
>>
>> using an "object approach" would make it very simple, but the size of the
>> resulting object could be very large.
>>
>> does anyone have any thoughts how to accomplish this task.
>>

>> steve

by giving the picture a key index, that ties back to a master object.

If for example i have a factory record, and 50 ( Health & safety) pictures attached to that factory record, via a key, If i follow some peoples current advice ( Serialize, Serialize!!! ), i would have to de-serialize an object of about 6MB, either to disk or into memory.

currently , i bring the master factory record over, then bring the pictures over on the fly. ( actually i bring 3k thumb nails over first), then pictures if requested by the user.

my main point , was that Whilst i have no formal background in data management, or oracle databases, or system management ,etc . I am the "main man" by default, because i am technical ! ( you gotta love some companies)

Therefore because i don't know I ask.

steve Received on Sat Jan 01 2005 - 11:36:48 CET

Original text of this message