Re: Avoiding automatically starting Oracle

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:06:58 GMT

Nathan Sokalski wrote:

> I currently have Oracle 9i Personal Edition installed on my computer (I
> use Windows XP Professional). I want to stop Oracle from starting
> automatically at boot time to avoid having it take up so much processor
> power in the background. However, I would like to have a way to run it
> when I do want to use it. What files and/or registry entries do I need to
> modify to accomplish this if it can be done? (There was a website with
> this info someone told me when I once had to completely uninstall Oracle,
> so I was hoping someone knew of one with this info for this situation) Any
> help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you familiar with the Control Panel's Services? In W2K Oracle's Listner and Database Instance are registered as services and are controlled thru the Services (Control Panel > Administration > Services). Using that, you can set the service to start automatically, start under manual control, or disabling it.

This is basic W2K admin & I suspect it's also basic XPPro admin.

/Hans Received on Thu Nov 25 2004 - 07:06:58 CET

Original text of this message