Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 16 Nov 2004 22:16:18 -0800

phazzard_at_intellicare.com (Pete H) wrote:

> what a dork...

And that is the best you can do Pete in response to a [SELECT COUNT] on a VLT containing 672,839,836 rows that returns the answer in 35 seconds?

I've read Oracle being slammed for this and that and what not. So instead of responding in kind, I simply show what Oracle is capable of in the real world.

It is also not about counting rows in general. It is *what* it entails (think I/O) and *how* it does it.

And the How It Is Done is what differentiate Oracle from others. Inovative means of providing accurate and consistent answers - thus enabling this very visible performance with a [SELECT COUNT]. And this type of innovation and performance is across the board. Not just with a [SELECT COUNT]. Though the latter tend to drive home the point with an extra sharp and shiny edge.

--
Billy