Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: michael newport <michaelnewport_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2004 01:17:26 -0700

> Well, you need to get more experience with new stuff. Doing the same
> thing over in a different environment should give you an increased
> appreciation of what you are doing, and what you could be doing.

It did, and the similarities were all too obvious.

> > > That's not the fault of the product. That direct and proximate
> > > responsibility falls on you for being a dinosaur. How much code have
> > > you implemented with bulk binding? How much with the model clause?
> > > How much with analytic functions? How many materialized views with
> > > refresh logs?
> >
> > its answers the users needs.
> > and it was written by the dealine.
> > which meant my company got paid.
> > although some of this money was then sent to Oracle to pay for the
> > licence.
> > if we had used Ingres we could have done the same job for less, or
> > increased our profits.
>
> I used to work for a vendor of a product that worked on multiple
> databases, including Ingres. They dropped Ingres support due to lack
> of interest from potential customers. Are you sure whoever paid your
> company would have been interested with Ingres? Many products are
> considered more desireable simply because they are more expensive.
> Stupid, true, but the way of the world.

I agree that CA sales and marketing were bad. But Ingres the product is not. CA also wasted time and money on speculative products like Jasmine and Opal. Linux / Apache / PHP have taken off because they are reliable and OpenSource. I predict the same for Ingres.

> I do recall one banking customer had a problem because their currency
> was so inflated Ingres couldn't handle the number of bits in the
> numbers.
>
> > But technology for its own sake is a waste of money.
>
> I would agree with that, except out of all the useless flak sometimes
> a gem comes, and sometimes a critical mass is created to actually
> improve things.
>
> jg

Well here is a gem and its free.

Regards
Michael Newport Received on Wed Oct 27 2004 - 10:17:26 CEST

Original text of this message