Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: michael newport <michaelnewport_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2004 01:20:17 -0700

HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:<_68fd.2$df2.0_at_edtnps89>...
> michael newport wrote:
>

> > So why buy Oracle when Ingres is free.
>
> If you use Oracle like you use Ingres, you are absolutely correct.

Its just a database. You use it as you need to, to do your job. See previous post for comparisons on how to do this.

> The implication is that accounting and shareholders or stakeholders (or
> wife) have not had a review of where time and money are going. Which is
> more toward keeping old technology alive than improving the business.

Human.

> Which makes me worry about management and the viability of the organization.
> (Suggest you keep your resume polished ...)

Human.

> Simplest example I can think of - Catalog the CD library & make it
> accessible using browsers:
>
> - Get Oracle DB (list price personal = US$400)
> - Install DB (1 hour, 'cause I read the instructions)
> - Install free HTML DB from companion disk (1 hour)
> - use HTML DB to create tables, Web pages (1 hour)
> for a tutorial, see http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/index.html
>
> Steps in Ingres? Unless something sigificant has changed in the past 7
> years (last time I looked at it seriously) I suspect it takes a few
> additional pieces of software, including PERL ('cause we want to stay
> free), and a few additional hours.
>
> Of course, you _could_ use Oracle the same way as Ingres and code the
> solution in PERL or otherwise. But my wife prefers I send time with her
> instead of the computer, and these days I prefer to listen to the CDs than
> to code the catalog. (I listened when they said 'get a life' <g>)

Yes Ingres has changed significantly in the last 7 years. It is also free.
That is $400 dollars saved.

Now imagine if you were a large company. Received on Tue Oct 26 2004 - 10:20:17 CEST

Original text of this message