Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:31:22 GMT

michael newport wrote:

> So why buy Oracle when Ingres is free.

If you use Oracle like you use Ingres, you are absolutely correct.

The implication is that accounting and shareholders or stakeholders (or wife) have not had a review of where time and money are going. Which is more toward keeping old technology alive than improving the business.

Which makes me worry about management and the viability of the organization. (Suggest you keep your resume polished ...)

Simplest example I can think of - Catalog the CD library & make it accessible using browsers:

Steps in Ingres? Unless something sigificant has changed in the past 7 years (last time I looked at it seriously) I suspect it takes a few additional pieces of software, including PERL ('cause we want to stay free), and a few additional hours.

Of course, you _could_ use Oracle the same way as Ingres and code the solution in PERL or otherwise. But my wife prefers I send time with her instead of the computer, and these days I prefer to listen to the CDs than to code the catalog. (I listened when they said 'get a life' <g>)

/Hans Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 16:31:22 CEST

Original text of this message