Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:58:40 -0700

michael newport wrote:
> the true answer is to expand the question,
>
> Ingres does everything that DB2 / Oracle can,

Which is, without a question, an outright lie. If you can't dwell within the land of the truthful try saying nothing at all.

and Ingres is cheaper than both.

Also less expensive.

> It is free.

So is trash but I don't go dumpster diving. Why this crazed religious fervor? A desire to honor those that died with valor?

> You get more bang for your buck with Ingres.

A claim not supported by contact with reality. What you get is a product that was so unimpressive to the marketplace that its owner couldn't sell it to anyone so they decided to just off-load it.

> Regards
> Michael Newport

But Michael, by all means, keep banging away at Ingres. With any luck at all you'll last as long as those of my colleagues that stayed with RPG II and ALGOL.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington