Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:32:57 -0700

Comments in-line.

michael newport wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> in Ingres I wrote 4GL, in Oracle I write PL/SQL

Because you don't know how to write Java in the database?

> in Ingres I wrote SQL, in Oracle I write SQL

Because you don't know how to write Java in the database?

> in Ingres I ran an overnight batch from a Unix cron job, in Oracle I
> schedule a dbms_job

Or dbms_scheduler
Or UNIX cron job
Or AppWorx
Or any one of a large number of other possible solutions.

> in Ingres my results went to a database table, in Oracle my results go
> to a database table

I'm impressed.

> in Ingres I wrote a user parameterized report, in Oracle I write a
> user parameterized report

Similarly impressed.

> in Ingres I ran the report with a system call, in Oracle I use Oracle
> Reports server (with all its nasty bugs)

Then you made a horrible choice of reporting software.

> Ingres is free, Oracle is not
>
> did I miss something ?
>
> Regards
> Michael Newport

What did you miss?

  1. Security model
  2. Scalability
  3. Performance
  4. Shared Everything Architecture
  5. RAC
  6. DataGuard
  7. RMAN
  8. User defined indexes
  9. User defined operators
  10. User defined locking
  11. Domain indexes
  12. Reverse-key indexes
  13. Compressed indexes
  14. Function based indexes
  15. Sequences
  16. User defined data types
  17. Partitioning and Subpartitioning
  18. Global Temporary Tables
  19. External Tables
  20. Index Organized Tables
  21. Enterprise level support 7x24x365
  22. Books at Amazon.com (Oracle 27,707 hits, DB2 1,955 hits, Ingres 0 hits if refering to your product)
  23. Jobs at Dice.com (Oracle 8,097 jobs, DB2 1,779 jobs, Ingres 18 jobs)
  24. Jobs at Monster.com
  25. Jobs at Hotjobs.com
  26. Packages
  27. Native compilation into C of PL/SQL
  28. TAF (transparent application failover)
  29. A prayer the product will still exist in 10 years.

I think I've made my point.

If you want a more valid comparison ... compare Ingres to MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, 3x5 cards. The difference will still be more books, more jobs, and more chance it will survive 5 years.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington