Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:13:44 -0400

Noons wrote:

> Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<2tpoheF221ps9U1@uni-berlin.de>...

>>Now that R correlates, for all major RDBMS that I know, quite well with
>>SQL as it's access language. Do you know of other languages commonly
>>used in an RDBMS? Yes, there could be, but there aren't.

> Yes I do, and yes there are. Quel from Ingres is one of them.
> They still make it available, last time I looked. Sure it's not
> much used and anyone using anything other than SQL must have rocks
> on their head or doing research. That's not the point, though.
> The point is that relational != SQL. Period. A DML is not a
> data storage theory.
.. and that's where many, many customer's installations ail. They believe by storing their data in tables and having some RI they are using an RDBMS.
All they have done is found persistent storage for their data which then is "processed" using nested cursors and procedural languages. It's the curse of providing PL/SQL, SQL PL, SPL, TSQL.... The _center piece_ of RDBMS: "relational alegbra" ends up as roadkill in the ditch. 30 years of research and all there is to show for it is that data is stored in tables.

I should be fine with it.. it does sell hardware.

Cheers
Serge Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 01:13:44 CEST

Original text of this message