Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:17:03 GMT

"Rhino" <rhino1_at_NOSPAM.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:Lxadd.22928$J16.888010_at_news20.bellglobal.com...

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> > > That's why I was hoping to hear from people who had used both Oracle
and
> DB2
> > > but weren't employees (or resellers) of either of them. The marketing
> > > information by the vendor always tends to be skewed in some way that
is
> > > favourable to the vendor but not necessarily a fair way.
> >
> > So what exactly is the value given by people in the DB2 usenet group
> > saying "We're best" while the people in the Oracle usenet groups say
> > "We're best"?
> >
> I was actually hoping to hear from people who had used BOTH products so
that
> they could tell me which they prefered and why.
>
> Rhino

I liked Oracle better because the concurrency model is much nicer. I found that you had to run DB2 in autocommit mode if you used dynamic SQL because of page locks on the plan table. Never had to worry about that in Oracle. That doesn't really tell you much. It would be much better if you actually did some work and said what your business needs. Jim Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 03:17:03 CEST

Original text of this message