Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:17:57 -0700

Rhino wrote:

>>Secondly, when you post and ask such questions here ... all you are
>>going to get are people's opinions ... some very biased opinions.

> That's why I was hoping to hear from people who had used both Oracle and DB2
> but weren't employees (or resellers) of either of them. The marketing
> information by the vendor always tends to be skewed in some way that is
> favourable to the vendor but not necessarily a fair way.

So what exactly is the value given by people in the DB2 usenet group saying "We're best" while the people in the Oracle usenet groups say "We're best"?

Or do you think you or your imaginary friend are in any position to evaluate the values of shared-everything vs shared-nothing? How about the value of procedure code compilation options? Bulk collection? Multi-version read consistency? Do you really think there is any value there based on your set-up?

I don't!

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington