Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Richard D. Latham <lathamr_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:33:17 -0400

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:

> Rhino wrote:
>> One of my friends, Scott, is a consultant who doesn't currently have
>> newsgroup access so I am asking these questions for him. I'll be telling him
>> how to monitor the answers via Google Newsgroup searches.
>> Scott has heard a lot of hype about DB2 and Oracle and is trying to
>> understand the pros and cons of each product. I'm quite familiar with DB2
>> but have never used Oracle so I can't make any meaningful comparisons for
>> him. He does not have a lot of database background but sometimes has to
>> choose or recommend a database to his clients.
>> Scott has enough life-experience to take the marketing information
>> produced
>> by IBM and Oracle with a grain of salt and would like to hear from real
>> DBAs, especially ones who are fluent with both products, for their views on
>> two questions:
>> 1. What are the pros and cons of the current releases of DB2 and
>> Oracle?
>> 2. What other sources of *independent* information are available to
>> help
>> someone new to databases choose between DB2 and Oracle?
>> This is *not* a troll and we don't want to start a flame war! Scott
>> just
>> want some honest facts to help him decide which product is best at which
>> jobs.
>
> DB2 consists of two letters and one integer and Oracle consists of 6
> letters and no integers.
>
> This is not the first time you have tried to start a flame war and your
> previous attempt is logged in my database.
>
> Please take your pathetic attempts to some other group. Perhaps
> alt.bored.troll.

It says a lot about consulting in the IT industry, that the part where Scott is a consultant that recommends databases when he doesn't know anything about databases, actually sounds like the truth. :-)

--
#include  <disclaimer.std>    /* I don't speak for IBM ...           */
                              /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */