Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Rhino <rhino1_at_NOSPAM.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:38:21 -0400

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:417323F9.5040605_at_x.washington.edu...
> Rhino wrote:
> > One of my friends, Scott, is a consultant who doesn't currently have
> > newsgroup access so I am asking these questions for him. I'll be telling
him
> > how to monitor the answers via Google Newsgroup searches.
> >
> > Scott has heard a lot of hype about DB2 and Oracle and is trying to
> > understand the pros and cons of each product. I'm quite familiar with
DB2
> > but have never used Oracle so I can't make any meaningful comparisons
for
> > him. He does not have a lot of database background but sometimes has to
> > choose or recommend a database to his clients.
> >
> > Scott has enough life-experience to take the marketing information
produced
> > by IBM and Oracle with a grain of salt and would like to hear from real
> > DBAs, especially ones who are fluent with both products, for their views
on
> > two questions:
> >
> > 1. What are the pros and cons of the current releases of DB2 and Oracle?
> >
> > 2. What other sources of *independent* information are available to help
> > someone new to databases choose between DB2 and Oracle?
> >
> > This is *not* a troll and we don't want to start a flame war! Scott just
> > want some honest facts to help him decide which product is best at which
> > jobs.
>
> DB2 consists of two letters and one integer and Oracle consists of 6
> letters and no integers.
>
> This is not the first time you have tried to start a flame war and your
> previous attempt is logged in my database.

Please name another time I've tried to start a flame war. If you look in comp.databases.ibm-db2 you'll find that I am usually a responder to people's questions and usually only start my own posts when I have a technical of my own. If you look in comp.databases.oracle you'll find that I've never posted there before because, as I said, I am not familiar with Oracle.

Can you suggest a better way to ask my question? I am trying to figure out how someone having to choose between Oracle and DB2 would choose one over the other. Surely that is a legitimate question that many people have had to answer.

Rhino Received on Mon Oct 18 2004 - 14:38:21 CEST

Original text of this message