Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:01:29 -0700

Rhino wrote:
> One of my friends, Scott, is a consultant who doesn't currently have
> newsgroup access so I am asking these questions for him. I'll be telling him
> how to monitor the answers via Google Newsgroup searches.
>
> Scott has heard a lot of hype about DB2 and Oracle and is trying to
> understand the pros and cons of each product. I'm quite familiar with DB2
> but have never used Oracle so I can't make any meaningful comparisons for
> him. He does not have a lot of database background but sometimes has to
> choose or recommend a database to his clients.
>
> Scott has enough life-experience to take the marketing information produced
> by IBM and Oracle with a grain of salt and would like to hear from real
> DBAs, especially ones who are fluent with both products, for their views on
> two questions:
>
> 1. What are the pros and cons of the current releases of DB2 and Oracle?
>
> 2. What other sources of *independent* information are available to help
> someone new to databases choose between DB2 and Oracle?
>
> This is *not* a troll and we don't want to start a flame war! Scott just
> want some honest facts to help him decide which product is best at which
> jobs.

DB2 consists of two letters and one integer and Oracle consists of 6 letters and no integers.

This is not the first time you have tried to start a flame war and your previous attempt is logged in my database.

Please take your pathetic attempts to some other group. Perhaps alt.bored.troll.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington