Re: Oracle ODBC connection problem

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2004 04:16:33 -0700

"SerGioGio" <sergiogio_at_yahoo.fr> wrote in message news:<414fca4e$1_at_news.starhub.net.sg>...
> Hello,
>
> I am going nuts. I am trying to connect to my local ORACLE instance using
> ODBC.
> It used to work few weeks ago, but it fails now.
>
> Connection with:
> - SQL*plus: connection works!
> - DataDirect 5.0 Oracle Wire protocol (3rd party ODBC driver): connection
> works when I hit the driver's "test connection"
> but not anymore in real case scenario (using th DSN from an application).
> - Oracle ODBC driver 9.02.00.05: connection does not work when I hit the
> driver's "test connection", I get:
> Unable to connect
> SQLState=IM004
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV
> failed
> - Microsoft ODBC for Oracle 2.575.1022.00: cannot even configure the ODBC
> data source, always get:
> The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found.
> These components are sypplied by Oracle Corporation and are part
> of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation.
> You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been
> installed.
>
> I am running Oracle version 9.2.0.1.0 on an xp Home Computer SP1 FAT32, and
> trying to use ODBC on the same computer. I installed the Oracle client
> version 9.2.0.5 to solve the problem but it did not work. I searched the
> newsgroup for the error messages but could not find any solution solving my
> problem - I do not think it is a permission problem on a registry or on a
> file system directory. I also installed the latest MDAC with no success.
>
> This used to work but does not anymore!! I do not know how/when/why it got
> corrupted. Does anyone have any clue on what could be going on here?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Regards,
>
> SerGioGio

This version of the Microsoft driver has the location and the name of the DLL hardcoded.
Consequently it won't work on any version other than 7.3
Oracle 9i is not certified against and support on XP Home.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Sep 21 2004 - 13:16:33 CEST

Original text of this message