Re: db2 vs oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:03:30 -0700

> You're using a wrong approach to determine the RDBMS that will suit
> your need. The kind of application you're thinking of running should
> be the first concern. Are you goning to be running OLTP, DDS or
> datawarehouse application. I don't think Oracle will bet UDB, Sybase
> or SQL Server when it comes to OLTP application. As far as
> datawarehouse is concern, Sybase has a specific product that is design
> for that specific application called Sybase IQ.

Not according to a lot of published benchmarks. And not according to the owners of the biggest OLTP systems on the planet.

But then what does Sybase have to do with the OP's question? The OP specifically stated a choice between DB2 and Oracle and most likely either would work just fine. So comments about SQL Server and Sybase are irrelevant.

> The mistake organization make when picking database platform is the
> same kind I am seeing from the approach you're taken. If you running
> mission critical application, then you should be concern about backup
> and recovery. Oracle backup and recovery is too complicated otherwise
> they won't need a 4 days training seesion on the topic. It takes a
> couple of hours to teach the same function in other platform. My point
> is that you have to think of what is important in the application
> you're running.

BTW: Oracle backup and recovery unless you are still working with some Paleolithic version consists of a few mouse clicks in OEM. So your comments indicate little but ignorance about the product.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington