Re: PL/SQL Intervals are dizzy

From: Danes <sandra_danes_at_dangerous-minds.com>
Date: 25 Aug 2004 22:42:53 -0700

Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<cgia7l$fr9$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
> Danes wrote:
>
> > Maybe I am just dizzy but I thought that 600 seconds is 10 minutes...
> > Obviously not! Or maybe PL/SQL is just dizzy.
> >
> > SQL> declare
> > 2 blah1 interval day to second := interval '600' second;
> > 3 blah2 interval day to second := interval '10' minute;
>
> minute is not english, and therefore probably wrong syntax.
> Now, who's shitty?

Erm.... should I or should I not respond to the *very* clever responce....

Or perhaps I should have not written the word shit. I now take the word shit back and replace it with dizzy and hope blood does not boil to the point of blindness and dizzyness ;)

Chill! And sorry I called your baby shit;)

Actually I was hoping for a helpful answer telling me I was a bit dizzy but if I get more of these types of answers I might even think I am intellegent! Scary thought ;)

For your information though Frank (maybe you can learn something too):

Minute \Mi*nute"\, a. [L. minutus, p. p. of minuere to lessen.

   See Minish, Minor, and cf. Menu, Minuet.]

  1. Very small; little; tiny; fine; slight; slender; inconsiderable. ``Minute drops.'' --Milton.
  2. Attentive to small things; paying attention to details; critical; particular; precise; as, a minute observer; minute observation.

   Syn: Little; diminutive; fine; critical; exact;

        circumstantial; particular; detailed.

   Usage: Minute, Circumstantial, Particular. A

          circumstantial account embraces all the leading
          events; a particular account includes each event and
          movement, though of but little importance; a minute
          account goes further still, and omits nothing as to
          person, time, place, adjuncts, etc.

Minute \Min"ute\, a.

   Of or pertaining to a minute or minutes; occurring at or    marking successive minutes.

   Minute bell, a bell tolled at intervals of a minute, as to

      give notice of a death or a funeral.

   Minute book, a book in which written minutes are entered.

   Minute glass, a glass measuring a minute or minutes by the

      running of sand.

   Minute gun, a discharge of a cannon repeated every minute

      as a sign of distress or mourning.

   Minute hand, the long hand of a watch or clock, which makes

      the circuit of the dial in an hour, and marks the minutes.

Minute \Min"ute\ (?; 277), n. [LL. minuta a small portion, small

   coin, fr. L. minutus small: cf. F. minute. See 4th Minute.]

  1. The sixtieth part of an hour; sixty seconds. (Abbrev. m.; as, 4 h. 30 m.)
            Four minutes, that is to say, minutes of an hour.
                                                  --Chaucer.

   2. The sixtieth part of a degree; sixty seconds (Marked thus
      ('); as, 10[deg] 20').

   3. A nautical or a geographic mile.

   4. A coin; a half farthing. [Obs.] --Wyclif (Mark xii. 42)

   5. A very small part of anything, or anything very small; a

      jot; a tittle. [Obs.]

            Minutes and circumstances of his passion. --Jer.
                                                  Taylor.

   6. A point of time; a moment.

            I go this minute to attend the king. --Dryden.

   7. The memorandum; a record; a note to preserve the memory of

      anything; as, to take minutes of a contract; to take
      minutes of a conversation or debate.

   8. (Arch.) A fixed part of a module. See Module.

   Note: Different writers take as the minute one twelfth, one

         eighteenth, one thirtieth, or one sixtieth part of the
         module.

Minute \Min"ute\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Minuted; p. pr. & vb. n.

   Minuting.]
   To set down a short sketch or note of; to jot down; to make a    minute or a brief summary of.

         The Empress of Russia, with her own hand, minuted an
         edict for universal tolerance.           --Bancroft.

 WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]

minute

     adj 1: infinitely or immeasurably small; "two minute whiplike
            threads of protoplasm"; "reduced to a microscopic
            scale" [syn: infinitesimal, microscopic]
     2: immeasurably small [syn: atomic, atomlike]
     3: characterized by painstaking care and detailed examination;
        "a minute inspection of the grounds"; "a narrow scrutiny";
        "an exact and minute report" [syn: narrow]
     n 1: a unit of time equal to 60 seconds or 1/60th of an hour; "he
          ran a 4 minute mile" [syn: min]
     2: an indefinitely short time; "wait just a moment"; "it only
        takes a minute"; "in just a bit" [syn: moment, second,
         bit]
     3: a particular point in time; "the moment he arrived the party
        began" [syn: moment, second, instant]
     4: a unit of angular distance equal to a 60th of a degree [syn:
         arcminute, minute of arc]
     5: a short note; "the secretary keeps the minutes of the
        meeting"
     6: distance measured by the time taken to cover it; "we live an
        hour from the airport"; "its just 10 minutes away" [syn: hour]