Oracle administration and Performance - Linux Cluster vs Windows Cluster

From: Tony Barker <tbarker_at_doit.state.in.us>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 13:19:56 -0700

Helpful associates,

    We are going to acquire and new database server that is intel based and we want to have some failover capabilities. Our question now is should we go with Linux based cluster solution or Windows based? We have systems people who are supporting a Linux database server with Oracle RAC. Due to RAC's expense and the fact that we really do not need load balancing with our new database server, we are looking at using a Linux cluster and do have experience with Linux both at the systems level and database level. However we do not have any experience with clustering in the Linux environment. We also have systems people that have experience and are supporting several windows clusters using SQLServer.

    If anyone has experience in both environments and would like to shed some light on advantages/disadvantages of them it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your insights!! Received on Tue Aug 24 2004 - 22:19:56 CEST

Original text of this message