Re: table relationships

From: Jeff <idont_at_thinkso.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:40:14 -0700

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1093194494.325919_at_yasure...

> Query the data dictionary views. Run this query for a list of them.
>
> SELECT view_name
> FROM all_views
> WHERE view_name LIKE 'ALL%';
>
> But why connect to Oracle with MS Access? An overwhelming desire to use
> the worst possible tool to do the job?

HAHAHAHA. No, us low ranking po' folk in the military don't have Oracle installed let alone get Oracle training, or ANY database training for that matter. All government desktop PCs come with Microsoft Access installed and I had to teach myself to use it. I have a couple of stand-alone applications I have to use that connect to an Oracle database, but the applications leave ALOT to be desired because I still have to build my own lists of data and compile statistics by hand over and over. If I can connect to the Oracle database with Access and ADO, I can build my own queries and reports once and be done with it at the click of a button whenever it's needed. Whether or not Access and ADO are the worst possible tools, it's still a hell of alot faster than doing it by hand the way I do it now. The Oracle database I tried to connect to turned out to have about 2000 tables with a jillion fields. I need to figure out what the relationships are before I can build my own queries.

Jeff Received on Sun Aug 22 2004 - 22:40:14 CEST

Original text of this message