Re: RMAN resynchonize question

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:25:02 -0400

You should keep 2 copies of your archive logs, on separate disks. On separate servers if possible.

Look at LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n syntax

I keep one copy on a mirrorred disk locally, and one copy on another machine which is in a different city.

But should your database "crash", as you say, most of the times your archive logs will still be available. You`ll have lost one datafile, or any part of the database but not your archive logs (as long as they are kept on their own disk or storage device), so you can recover. If you loose your archive logs in both locations (if you save them onto 2 locations that is) you still have the database. Just hurry to take a good backup of it.

Loosing everything can only happen if the server bursts into flames (or something of the like), in which case you need more than your archive logs to recover, you need a complete disaster plan.

Regards,

Syltrem