Re: is Oracle technically better than Ingres ?

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2004 10:05:35 -0700

michaelnewport_at_yahoo.com (michael newport) wrote in message news:<63b202d.0407260216.34497df7_at_posting.google.com>...
> Dear friends of database(s),
>
> After 13 years of Ingres, I am now using Oracle.
>
> But is Oracle technically better than Ingres.
>
> I would be much obliged if anyone could shed some light on the above
> question.
>
> It would also be helpful if you could 'please' keep your comments on a
> technical level.
>
> Regards
> Michael Newport

It's been a long time since I did anything with INGRES so I won't say it's better or worse, because I don't know what technology it uses now.

I will say that Oracle's Multiversioning makes systems run a lot smoother than DBMS that uses various forms of locks to conrol access. It can be more resource hungry, but the ease of use and performance more than compensates, IMHO.

take a look at the Oracle Concepts manual. You'll learn a lot about how the system operates and why.

HTH,
  ed Received on Mon Jul 26 2004 - 19:05:35 CEST

Original text of this message