Oracle 10G Net Config fails to start - installation issue on Windows in a domain

From: Captain Obvious <someone_at_somewhere.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:55:05 -0500

I'm posting this in hopes that it will help a few folks out when the search Google Groups.

I was having the following problems with Oracle 10G: 1. When installing the database, the net config assistant would fail and I would end up with no listener. Furthermore, I couldn't run Net Config to create one.
2. I could not start the Network Configuration Assistant after a fresh install of the 10G client on a workstation.

Problem:
It would appear that the Net Config tool checks to verify that your user account is explicitly listed in the local Administrators group. In all instances, I was logged in with a domain administrator account and Domain Admins is listed in the local Administrators group. It seems Oracle is checking for a name in a list rather than the effective administrative permissions.

Resolution:
My findings are that even if you are a domain administrator, you must add your individual domain user account to the local Administrators group on the machine where you are configuring either the Oracle 10G database or client.

I also ran into problems with OracleCSService and I received some CRS error during database installation. I'm not sure if this is related. I ignored these issues since I didn't install in a clustered environment. Received on Tue Jul 20 2004 - 05:55:05 CEST

Original text of this message