Re: Oracle VS SQL Server - Which is best to back end ?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:34:38 GMT

Chris Hohmann wrote:

> "Mujahid" <mujahid_at_iqura.net> wrote in message

>> A lot of people I know who have worked on both Oracle and SQL Server tell

> me

>> that PL SQL is much more powerful that T SQL.

A very common mistake in RDBMS programming include using ANY procedural language where pure SQL will accomplish the task. I have seen many instances of T-SQL and PL/SQL that were totally unnecessary - and both will be considerably slower than pure SQL if the ask can be accomplished in pure SQL. Due to >internal< differences in implementation of the SQL language, it is not generally a good idea to do a one-on-one comparison of T-SQL and PL/SQL.

>> Oracle clusters better than SQL S. but can anyone point out an equalent
>> of DTS and OLAP in Oracle ?

> Oracle Database Utilities (Data Pump/SQL Loader)
> http://otn.oracle.com/products/database/utilities/index.html

Realize that Oracle natively includes ablity to define tables based on external files (such as CLF exports from Excel) and 'heterogeneous services' allowing data to be sourced and included in transactions even when not stored in Oracle.

> Oracle OLAP
> http://otn.oracle.com/products/bi/olap/olap.html

Note that the OLAP option in Oracle is frequently overkill. In my experience, many reports and analyses only require things like Racle's Advanced Grouping capability - from their docco

"... CUBE and ROLLUP to produce sub-totals and crosstab reports easily and efficiently using a single SQL statement." and "Analytic functions ... Includes rank, moving average, and ratio-to-report."

Based on discussion in comp.database.oracle.server, and referencing Oracle's "New Features" doc for Oracle9i, these are available in Personal, Standard One, Standard and Enterprise Edition

A decent reference to learn these is O'Reilly's "Mastering Oracle SQL"

/Hans Received on Wed Jun 30 2004 - 18:34:38 CEST

Original text of this message