Re: "shared memory realm not available" on Orc9i, W2k

From: The CQMMAN <cqmman_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 25 Jun 2004 02:32:29 -0700

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote in message news:<a1d154f4.0406240134.1de05395_at_posting.google.com>...
> cqmman_at_yahoo.co.uk (The CQMMAN) wrote in message news:<65017aa5.0406230103.5d0d1ec2_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<cb9r09$heg$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
> >
> > > Try some real values; "instance" is not a valid SID name.
> > > Check your services; it's the one called oracleserviceXXXX; the XXXX
> > > is your SID.
> > > Then issue -in a command line window-
> > > set oracle_sid=XXXX and retry your start operation.
> > >
> > > Alternatively, start the oracleserviceXXXX; if set up correctly,
> > > it will also mount and open the database. Id oracleserviceXXXX
> > > is already started, but you still get the 1034, follow procedure
> > > as above.
> >

> > Actually, if I can tack on to the end of this thread with another
> > question, I can now connect when logged on as the domain admin (the
> > user who installed Oracle), but when I logon as a domain user with
> > local admin rights on that W2K box, I get "insufficient privileges".
> >
> > The "domain user/local admin" account is a member of the ORA_DBA group
> > on the local server, and in fact, I have created a domain group called
> > "Oracle admins", added the "domain user/local admin" account to it,
> > and added the group to the ORA_DBA group.
> >
> > I have also looked in SQLNET.ORA and the line says:
> >
> > SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
> >
> > So, not sure what else I need to change to get that W2KAD account to
> > be able to start the database.
> >
> > BTW, the Oracle services are running using the localsystem account...
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Where in the installation instructions does Oracle recommend you
> should be connected as the *domain* administrator when installing?
> Answer: nowhere! You should install Oracle as *local* administrator
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I never said anything about the installation instructions recommending that I should be connected as the domain admin to do the install.

My question was, if I want to start the Oracle database while logged on with a different account, what do I need to do to get it to work? I thought I have been quite thorough in what I tried/checked, but I must be missing something somewhere. Received on Fri Jun 25 2004 - 11:32:29 CEST

Original text of this message