Re: "shared memory realm not available" on Orc9i, W2k

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Jun 2004 02:34:03 -0700

cqmman_at_yahoo.co.uk (The CQMMAN) wrote in message news:<65017aa5.0406230103.5d0d1ec2_at_posting.google.com>...
> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<cb9r09$heg$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
>
> > Try some real values; "instance" is not a valid SID name.
> > Check your services; it's the one called oracleserviceXXXX; the XXXX
> > is your SID.
> > Then issue -in a command line window-
> > set oracle_sid=XXXX and retry your start operation.
> >
> > Alternatively, start the oracleserviceXXXX; if set up correctly,
> > it will also mount and open the database. Id oracleserviceXXXX
> > is already started, but you still get the 1034, follow procedure
> > as above.
>

> Actually, if I can tack on to the end of this thread with another
> question, I can now connect when logged on as the domain admin (the
> user who installed Oracle), but when I logon as a domain user with
> local admin rights on that W2K box, I get "insufficient privileges".
>
> The "domain user/local admin" account is a member of the ORA_DBA group
> on the local server, and in fact, I have created a domain group called
> "Oracle admins", added the "domain user/local admin" account to it,
> and added the group to the ORA_DBA group.
>
> I have also looked in SQLNET.ORA and the line says:
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
>
> So, not sure what else I need to change to get that W2KAD account to
> be able to start the database.
>
> BTW, the Oracle services are running using the localsystem account...
>
> Cheers

Where in the installation instructions does Oracle recommend you should be connected as the *domain* administrator when installing? Answer: nowhere! You should install Oracle as *local* administrator

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Jun 24 2004 - 11:34:03 CEST

Original text of this message