Re: "shared memory realm not available" on Orc9i, W2k

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:46:20 +0200

The CQMMAN wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I try to connect to my Oracle instance on the W2K server that it
> is installed on, using SQLPLUS (ie, SQLPLUS user/password_at_instance), I
> get:
>
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>
> If I try again at the "Enter user-name:" prompt with "user/password",
> I then get:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12560: TNS:Protocol adapter error
>

> On the server, the OracleOraHome92TNSListener service and the
> OracleServiceInstance service are both running.
>
> The TNSNAMES.ORA is pointing to the localhost and port 1521 (and TCP),
> and the Listener.ora seems to be OK because it has TCP as a protocol,
> the machinename as the host, and 1521 as the port. It also has a
> second address as IPC with a key of EXTPROC0.
>
> I didn't have a variable set for the oracle_sid, so I set this
> manually (set oracle_sid=instance from a commandline) but there was no
> change on that.
>

> Oracle is 9.2.0.1.0, and it is running W2K service pack 4.
>
> Not being an expert, I am not really sure what else to check so any
> hints would be most welcome. I hope I haven't missed any vital piece
> of info!
>
> Cheers

Try some real values; "instance" is not a valid SID name. Check your services; it's the one called oracleserviceXXXX; the XXXX is your SID.
Then issue -in a command line window-
set oracle_sid=XXXX and retry your start operation.

Alternatively, start the oracleserviceXXXX; if set up correctly, it will also mount and open the database. Id oracleserviceXXXX is already started, but you still get the 1034, follow procedure as above.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel