Re: What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Stanley Sinclair <stanleysinclair_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 20 Jun 2004 10:10:51 -0700

Chris,

The subject of the thread has been "What's your compensation for *carrying* a pager???" Of course I charge for "physical" procedures I do.

But I don't charge (as lawyers do) for the dozen weekend calls, "I forgot to refill my meds on Friday. The prescription is expired. I need you to call the pharmacy and OK it." (A call like that typically takes 15 minutes to handle, and costs me $1.25 for the answering service, + whatever I pay for the cell phone, + the danger of taking the call on the highway, + being called away from normal life + cost of office staff pulling chart and entering on Monday AM + ...)

Nor do I charge (as lawyers do) for the 3 AM calls, "I can't sleep -- do something." That takes three minutes to handle (!_at_$*!) and one hour to get back to sleep.

Let's see, lawyers get $250/hr (more on weekends) plus expenses. Should YOU need to have your prescription refilled on a Sunday, how would you feel about the bill for $80 (not covered by insurance)?

Stan