Re: Comments on InterSystems Cache Database Platform

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 02:53:14 -0400

Alex wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're looking at a vendor who uses the InterSystems Cache Database
> Platform, but our IT department has zero experience with this system.
> This software package will have a pivotal and mission critical roll in
> our organization, so I'd like some comments on what others think of
> this database platform.
>
> Mainly I'm curious how easy/difficult it is to query a Cache Database,
> and does it use standard SQL calls like Oracle and MS SQL? What about
> ODBC connections into the database from Crystal, MS Access, and OLAP
> tools? Any other caviets (backup, maintenance, etc)?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments Cache.
>
> Sam

Won't they let you test drive it?

I've never used Cache, but I have gone thru DB evaluations before. I would only suggest you set out some clear DB requirements (testable if at all possible). Their sales rep should be able to answer questions about its flavor of SQL, ODBC support and such. If they cannot (or worse, will not), answer those simple questions, then run away.

Your post here is not a bad start:
Interfaces/Languages supported - SQL, ODBC, JAVA(JDBC), Special libraries Standards supported - like SQL, and at what level? Tool availability - does it have custom Back up/restore programs or is it only a data file? (
Front end support - Do you have to use their GUI development tools or can you program using others?
Platforms supported - If next year you no longer want to pay MS for an OS update license, can you switch to LINUX? Programmers available? If few people know/use the DB, is training inexpensive? Are other resources available (e.g. books, usenet discussion groups)? Performance - run some benchmarks
Flexibility - does the DB adapt easily? (e.g., does adding a column to a table force you to rebuild the DB? Does it force you to rebuild your applications?

Bottom line is that you need to watch your bottom line. IOW, what is the total bang for the buck?

Good luck.

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/