Re: 10GAS on Linux with 10GDS on Windows XP.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:41:01 +0200

Gaetan Poitras wrote:

> Thanks, Frank, but if I have to recompile the fmx on linux, then I
> guest it means I need to install 10gDS on linux? cause I wanted to
> avoid that and having only 10gAS..
> Can I compile fmx with 10gAS without having installing 10gDS over
> linux..?
>
> Also, when I connect for the first time on my application via intranet
> in my browser, I have to download the applet for jinit. Is this is
> kind of universal for any platform? The one installed over my 10gAS on
> linux will be downloaded from a windows pc and installed and will it
> work fine ?
>

> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<c9d5vl$n5f$1_at_news3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
>

>>Gaetan Poitras wrote:
>>

>>>I need to know if we can install our database 10g on a linux server,
>>>install our AS10g on a linux server and then install on each Windows
>>>XP developer 10g ?
>>>
>>>Is this combinaison will work fine? I mean developing on windows xp
>>>and then deploying the executable module of forms and report into my
>>>linux AS server.?
>>>

>> Yes - that will (well... should) work
>>
>>>Do I have something special to do? do I have to recompile the fmx over
>>>linux?
>>>

>> Yes - fmx's are platform specific, fmb's not.

Well - you can run fmb's... Fmx's are usually smaller and load faster, but there never was a restriction in not compiling into fmx. Not in previous versions. Why don't you just test; if it fails, you'll need one 10gAS compiler on Linux - not the whole shabam. And the applet will be the correct one; Java was intended to "write once, run on many platforms".

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel