Re: Career as a DBA

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 28 May 2004 07:24:09 -0700

ramtad_at_cs.uh.edu (Novice) wrote in message news:<335b5852.0405271111.1d9be601_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello everyone,
> I am interested in a career in database administration.
> I am having 2 yrs academic project work experience in Oracle 8i/9i
> SQL/PL SQL programming. I am familiar with performance tuning
> slightly. I am also familiar with Oracle 9iAS (Forms, Reports). I have
> a few questions.
>
> 1. How good is a career as a DBA. (Its future prospects)
> 2. Which among Oracle DBA and SQL Server DBA is better.
> 3. For the starters(in terms of DBA concepts), is Oracle9i DBA ok to
> start with or a book in Oracle 8i DBA necessary.
> 4. what are the best books and references for learning about Oracle 8i
> DBA or Oracle 9i DBA.
>
> Sorry for the list of questions.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Novice

First, there are 5 to 20 developer jobs for every DBA job

Second, the way IT jobs are being outsourced I am not sure I could recommend going into IT to anyone, but it you do want to work in IT then the best future probably belongs to areas related to requirements analysis and project management. Someone has to provide the specifications to the remote programmers and someone has to manage the project from the local end.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 16:24:09 CEST

Original text of this message