Westell Wirespeed B90-220030-04 and Oracle Services

From: Vern <pbfvern_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:08:46 -0400

Hello All,

I have the above DSL modem on my network along with a variety of machines and several different operating systems. One of the operating systems I have is Novell 5.1 and on that server I am using the five user versions of Oracle that ships with Novell. The Oracle version I am using is 8i. The server bundle works great and I do all of my business on this platform.

I also have DSL, Novell (v5.0 and Oracle 8), running at home where I have several databases that I rely upon heavily and it works great as well. My dilemma is that I want to be able to access my work Oracle instance from home. Incidentally, I have the identical Westell at home as I do at work.

I have opened up ports 1521-1526 with a base port of 1521 on the Westell at work, (both udp and tcp), and managed to get a login prompt from sqlplus but I'm never able to get logged in. It seems that Oracle is using a different port each time I try to connect for communications. I could open up all ports on my Westell but you know what that will do to my security.

Does anyone know what I need to do to have the ability to control this? Is there special software I need to install to install on my Westell or is there a way to instruct Oracle to use specific ports?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide,

Vern Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 18:08:46 CEST

Original text of this message