Re: Westell Wirespeed B90-220030-04 and Oracle Services

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:28:57 GMT

Vern wrote:

> It seems that Oracle is using a different
> port each time I try to connect for communications. I could open up all
> ports on my Westell but you know what that will do to my security.

Yes, Oracle port 1521 is used only for the initial connection and the Listener will then inform your 'client process' and it's 'server process' which port they should continue to use.

This is addressed by Oracle for some firewalls, and documented in the Oracle Networking documentation (Which, IIRC is Net8 for Oracle8i) as well as Metalink. Suggest you check Metalink for certification with Westell. (At one time searching on 'firewall' in Metalink would provide sufficient info but I have not looked for a while.)

/Hans Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 11:28:57 CDT