Re: Certification on 9i .

From: GregoryD <hagar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 23:57:17 -0500

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1082768760.767181_at_yasure...
> Dave wrote:
>
> > It may not get you a job on its own - but it could well get you and
> > interview and may well be a differntiator between two people
>
> In this part of the planet ... it won't even get you an interview.
> In fact just the opposite in some situations.

Only if the guy doing the hiring is a complete tool.

Now, I put a lot of people to work, so here's the IT recruiting side of it: I'll always take a guy with 5 years of experience over a guy who just read about a topic and got a certificate. I have a friend who is one of the worst coders on the friggin planet, yet she continues to find work because she has work experience. If I have to discern between two guys with similar backgrounds and skillsets and the money is the same, I'll go with the certified professional. Certifications are just like your references... the better they are, the better you are.

Frankly, though, I think that you'd be better off spending the money on a Dale Carnegie session or two. There are plenty of people out there with a lot of technical knowledge and the personality of a tree stump. Selling yourself is one of the most important parts in getting any job, and too many people have absolutely no clue how to do it.

GregoryD Received on Mon May 10 2004 - 06:57:17 CEST

Original text of this message