connection dropped by firewall

From: Markus Breuer <markus.breuer_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 12:24:08 +0200

I am programming c++ with oracle oci and have some trouble when using a customers firewall, which drops oracles tcp connection after some minutes or after restart. My client app seems to send TNS to the server, the server does not response (because of the firewall), so tcp starts retries up to 10 minutes. After this timespan my oracle call returns with an error code.

It is not possible to reconfigure the firewall, but is there any chance to recognize the problem earlier, so that the app doe snot hang? It would be okay for some seconds or up to a minute, but 10 minutes are definitivly too long.

What should i do to recognize this lost connection from client side?

regards markus Received on Fri May 07 2004 - 12:24:08 CEST

Original text of this message