Re: Do I need to create a field type LONG?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:56:27 GMT

Galina wrote:

> Hello
> I am going to copy a data from MS Access table into Oracle table. One
> of fields is memo type and data in this field range from 1 character
> to 551 long string. Do I need to create a field type LONG in the
> Oracle table to accommodate this data? If not, what field type would
> suit best?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you.
> Galina

You want type VARCHAR2.

Since Oracle 8.0 there are limited, if any, circumstances that justify LONG. If the limit of 4000 bytes in VARCHAR2 is not enough, switch to the LOB family (eg: CLOB) not the LONG family.

Check out Oracle's online documentation at http://docs.oracle.com for more.

/Hans Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 15:56:27 CEST

Original text of this message