Re: New to Oracle

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:30:17 GMT

Max wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I just wanna know what would be the best book to start off with for
> Oracle Databases and what would be more suitable taking a course at
> Oracle it self or a Training Institute?

Best book - start with the Oracle manuals:

go to http://docs.oracle.com,
open the library for Oracle9i Release 2, select the View Library link,
look at the List of Books and
Read the Concepts Manual.

Follow that by Expert One-on-one Oracle by Thomas Kyte.

Best course - depends on your location:

Personal order of preference: Any course by a very knowledgeable instructor (eg. Howard Rogers, Daniel Morgan, a few others that respond here); approved "Oracle University" course whether by Oracle or a training institute (suggest interviewing the instructor if possible & make sure they are not just pushing certification); self-study; 'training institute' course.

Be aware that many courses are based on the technology from older versions of Oracle and many end up teaching myths and outright errors. Anything and everything you learn should be backed up by experimentation and personal verification, even if preented by a knowledgeable instructor.

/Hans Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 02:30:17 CEST

Original text of this message