Re: Certification on 9i .

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2004 17:29:34 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1082727979.601882_at_yasure>...
> Oba wrote:
> > I am currently hitting my head on the wall to get certified on 9i, but we
> > now have 10g, so do I hold off or continue my work? Please advice thanks.
>
> Hans is correct. I think the certs are a waste of time and money. It
> won't get you a job and it won't get you the skills you need to get
> a job.
>
> Why do I say that? Go to http://www.dice.com, http://www.hotjobs.com,
> http://www.monster.com and see how many jobs there are for "Oracle"
> then see how many jobs for "Oracle AND OCP".

Use "Certification" instead of "OCP". Of course, this picks up places that want you to have Oracle and networking certs, but how silly is that?

> That said I am a strong believer in education so I think classes
> are worth a lot ... provided they are not taught by a certificate
> mill ... meaning a company that doesn't teach you hands-on skills
> but rather just the correct answers to a paper test.

Pretty much agree with you and Hans, but must point out to the OP the divergence between reality and the HR "professionals." The HR people don't generally understand that there may be differences between different types of certification. So I'd say "continue your work," because it documents that you are interested in continuing your career over time.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.  "When I was a kid the Mafia ran the numbers
racket and the government ran the jails. Today, the government runs