Re: What's your compensation for carrying a pager???

From: Victor Reed <victor.reed_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2004 02:56:22 -0700

No doubts, it is the responsibility of the employee as the employer .. Many times, the contracts are in such a manner that an employee may not fully understand the implications ... In my previous job, in the interview I was told that I'll be on-call(no compensation) in a rota ... There were six people, so my cover was once in six weeks ... In a few months time, just two of us were expected to do the job of all 6 (4 laid off on the same day) ... So lots of work during the day and on-call once in two weeks ... When we requested for a compensation we were bluntly told 'No such thing in your contract!!' ... I left the job next month ..

A self-employed has to take professsional advice before signing contracts, to avoid traps

Cheers
victor